As long as I’m obsessively cleaning my hands to reduce the risk of getting COVID-19, I’m good… right? Well… yes and no.
Good old fashioned soap and water will definitely get the job done, just make sure you’re counting out 20 seconds and using hot water. Hand-sanitizer is excellent too, but the FDA put out a warning about nine different brands that are unsafe!
Don’t worry if you have a very familiar, trusted brand. The ones that are causing the health problems are all made by a Mexican company called “Eskbiochem”, which contain a very toxic ingredient called methanol or “wood alcohol”.
The methanol can absorb through your skin and cause nausea, vomiting, headaches, blurred vision, seizures, nerve damage, permanent blindness, and even kill you. So if you’ve been using any Eskbiochem brands or anything containing methanol, stop use and immediately see a doctor. As for the remaining unsafe sanitizer, dispose of it immediately into a hazardous waste container. Do not flush or pour these products down the drain, they are toxic!
Here are the brand names that are causing health issues, put them on your “Do Not Buy” List:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
So, what kind of sanitizer should you buy? The CDC recommends consumers use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% ethanol alcohol. If the sanitizer contains any less than that, it may reduce the growth of germs but not actually kill them.
Unfortunately, stores sell out of trusted name brands like Purell and Germ-X fairly quickly and with limited workers, the shelves are not restocked as quickly. If they are sold out of the one you want, look over the ingredients carefully for the toxic ingredient “methanol”, and save this list of toxic hand sanitizers above, so that you don’t buy one of them by mistake!